Climbing Wall Instructor Course
The WSU University Recreation Climbing Wall Instructor Course provides prospective instructors with an in-depth, uniform understanding of the abilities critical to facilitating and teaching climbing at the University Climbing Wall. The course underscores the presentation of comprehensive necessary skills to climbing participants, the development of risk assessment and risk management expertise, basic problem-solving abilities such as belay transitions, and on wall coaching techniques. The course reinforces the importance of teaching technically accurate information and debunks many common climbing myths. Participants will be assessed on both their core knowledge and their ability to effectively teach and coach related skills. This course serves as the last step in the hiring process of climbing wall supervisors.
- A Current UREC Belay Qualification: The ability to competently put on a harness and tie in appropriately with ease and belay with an aperture belay device (an ATC for example) and an assisted locking device (A GriGri for example) in a competent manner.
- A level of experience showcasing skills developed from regular climbing for two to three years or a high level of climbing in the past six months.
- Demonstrate top roping 5.8 on an artificial climbing wall without resting or stopping.
- A current UREC Lead Qualification or the ability and skills to lead climb (Preferred).
In order to minimize our environmental impact, maintain facilitator-to-participant ratios, meet permit criteria, and transportation logistics, ORC programs are designed for small groups (typically up to six participants with two facilitators). Late cancellations can seriously impact our ability to accommodate others and recover costs.
- Cancellations made up until two weeks prior to the registration deadline will receive a full refund.
- Cancellations made within two weeks prior to the registration deadline receive 50% refund.
- Sorry, no refunds are given past the registration deadline.
Registration Ends February 28