Do students have access to UREC facilities?

Undergraduate students enrolled in seven or more Pullman based credits have access to the Student Recreation Center, the Down Under Recreation Center and the Chinook Student Center. Their membership is based on the semester in which their student fees are paid.

Graduate/Professional students have access to the Student Recreation Center and the Down Under Recreation Center. Their membership is based on the semester in which their student fees are paid. Graduate/Professional students may purchase a semester membership to the Chinook Student Center.

Part-time students (six credits or less) may purchase semester memberships to the SRC and/or Chinook. 

Membership dates are as follows:

  • Fall- August 1 through December 31
  • Spring- January 1 through May 15
  • Summer- May 1 through August 15

Who can purchase memberships for UREC facilities?

UREC offers a variety of membership options to our Faculty/Staff members and Alumni Association members. The following guidelines will help you determine your eligibility for a UREC Membership:

  • Faculty/Staff- Current and retired Faculty/Staff members are eligible for Semester and Annual Memberships.
  • Alumni Association Members- Current members of the WSU Alumni Association are eligible for Semester and Annual Memberships
  • Additional Members- Additional memberships are available to spouse/partners of WSU students, Faculty/Staff and Alumni Association Members on a semester and Annual basis.

Prices vary dependent on the facility for which the membership is purchased. Annual memberships are valid for one calendar year from the date of purchase. Semester memberships are as follows:

  • Fall- August 1 through December 31
  • Spring- January 1 through May 15
  • Summer- May 1 through August 15

Which facility do I have access to?

UREC proudly offers memberships for all of our eligible members to one or all of our facilities. The following membership options are available:

  • Student Recreation Center (SRC) Memberships- These memberships provide access to the SRC and Down Under Recreation Center only.
  • Chinook Student Center Memberships- These memberships provide access to the Chinook Student Center only.
  • SRC/Chinook Bundled Memberships- Current SRC members can purchase a Chinook membership at a discounted price. Additionally, new members can purchase both memberships at a discounted price.*
  • NOTE: SRC members are eligible to purchase fitness classes at the Chinook. Class prices are increased to accommodate access to the facility for the class.

*Please contact Membership directly at 509-335-4227 to purchase add on a Chinook or SRC Membership to your current membership.

Can I become a UREC Member if I am a part-time student, taking a semester off or a recent graduate?

Yes, you can. We allow all part-time and interim students to purchase a membership at the student rate. Recent graduates are eligible for a membership at the student rate during the semester immediately following their graduation from WSU. After that, you are considered an Alumni and are eligible for the Alumni Membership rates.

Are Graduate Students UREC Members?

Graduate Students who are taking seven or more credits are assessed the SRC mandatory student fee and therefore, have access to the SRC and Down Under Recreation Center. Graduate Students will not be assessed the Chinook mandatory student fee and must elect into a membership for the Chinook Student Center in order to gain access to the facility.

Can I purchase a membership if I am not a student, Faculty/Staff or Alumni of WSU?

Yes, you simply need to join the WSU Alumni Association ($50 annually). Once you have purchased this membership, you are eligible for the UREC Alumni Membership

Can I have my membership fees payroll deducted?

Yes, all full-time, 12-month appointment WSU employees are eligible to payroll deduct a University Recreation membership under the following guidelines:

  • Semester memberships may only be deducted from one paycheck.
  • Annual memberships can be deducted from 1, 12, or 22 paychecks. 

Please note, all full-time WSU employees with an appointment less than 12 months are eligible to payroll deduct the SRC membership from either 1 or 12 checks.

Do I need a CougarCard to enter the UREC Facilities?

Yes, a Cougar Card is required for entry each time a member visits the SRC, Chinook Student Center and Down Under Recreation Center. If you do not have a Cougar Card at the time of your membership purchase, one must be obtained within one week of the membership purchase date. You can learn more about the card options available to you by visiting the Cougar Card Center.

Can my spouse/partner join UREC?

Yes, University Recreation offers memberships to spouses/partners of current WSU students and faculty/staff as well as our alumni members.

  • To be eligible as a faculty/staff or student spouse/partner, the other spouse/partner must be affiliated with WSU (current student or employee).
  • To be eligible as an alumni spouse/partner, the other spouse/partner must be a current UREC member in that category.

For further clarification, contact David Grassi at david.grassi@wsu.edu.

Are there weekend passes or special discounts for family members or guests?

Yes, UREC Members (both student and elected) may bring guests to the UREC Facilities with the purchase of a $6 guest pass. Special Event Weekend Passes are sold during Special Event Weekends such as home football game weekends in the fall. These passes are just $10 and good for entry Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday on those specific weekends only. Passes may be purchased at the SRC Membership Desk and the Chinook Student Center Membership Desk.

When may I bring my children to the SRC and Chinook?

Participants under the age of 18 have access to the SRC and Chinook Student Center during our family hours. The cost is $1 per day and a legal adult must accompany them during their visit. A signed Assumption of Risk Waiver must be signed by the youth's parent or legal guardian prior to entry to the facility. Guidelines for specific youth usage can be found here.

How can I upgrade to a full size locker?

In order to be placed on the waitlist, you must be a current UREC member and you must currently hold a half-size locker. To be placed on the upgrade waitlist, please email David Grassi (david.grassi@wsu.edu) with your name, phone number and request to be placed on the full size locker waiting list. You can purchase a half size locker here.

What is the Membership Refund/Cancellation Policy?

University Recreation elected membership purchases will be refunded or cancelled on a prorated basis only under the following circumstances. 

  • UREC member has separated their employment from the university.
  • UREC member will be moving out of the area.
  • UREC member has documented medical circumstances that will not allow them to use the facility.

Each requested refund will be judged on a case by case basis. The mandatory student fee will not be refunded, per university policy.