Backcountry Travel & Leadership
If you’re an outdoor enthusiast interested in developing your outdoor leadership skills, this course is for you. During this multi-day, professionally instructed and administered course, participants will embark on an extended backcountry trip where they will learn the skills necessary to successfully lead outdoor activities in winter camping, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and mountaineering.
Course dates: Friday, December 15 - Tuesday, December 19th, 2018
- Course encompasses:
- Instruction of Leadership/Group Development Theory
- Four nights and four days of Winter camping and travel skills in northern Idaho
- Certifications granted upon completion of course
- Leave No Trace Trainer
- Leave No Trace Trainer
Direct emails to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Sunday, November 26th (priority), rolling admissions/space permitting thereafter
Due to the historic high popularity of this course, and the fact that this course serves a major role in recruitment for UREC Adventure Facilitators, we are encouraging those with outdoor experience, a desire to lead groups in the outdoors, and motivation for professional development to register for this course. If you are interested in working for UREC as an Adventure Facilitator, or wanting the experience for professional/leadership development, please submit a resume, trip log/outline of outdoor experience, and cover letter to the contact provided above. We will then review application material and send the registration link to those who are selected.
* To be hired as an Adventure Facilitator, applicants must have a valid drivers licence without any of the following on their driving record in the past three years.
- Suspension/revocation of license
- Negligent or reckless driving conviction
- conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or other substance
- Any vehicle-related felony conviction
- Criminal determination as "at fault" in an accident
*Candidates for the Adventure Facilitator position who do not currently possess a Wilderness First Aid (WFA) are expected to attain the certification no later than the end of the month of February directly following the course. After employment is offered, and the person is on payroll, that individual can utilize UREC's employee grant program to help pay for a WFA course.
WSU Student/UREC Member price: $260
Trip cost includes: Winter camping/backpacking, cross country ski, snowshoeing, camping equipment, transportation, and instruction (food/clothing NOT included).
In order to minimize our environmental impact, maintain facilitator-to-participant ratios, meet permit criteria, and transportation logistics, ORC programs are designed for small groups (typically up to six participants with two facilitators). Late cancellations can seriously impact our ability to accommodate others and recover costs.
- Cancellations made up until two weeks prior to the registration deadline will receive a full refund.
- Cancellations made within two weeks prior to the registration deadline receive 50% refund.
- Sorry, no refunds are given past the registration deadline.