Backcountry Travel & Leadership
If you’re an outdoor enthusiast interested in developing your outdoor leadership skills, this course is for you. During this multi-day, professionally instructed and administered course, participants will embark on an extended backcountry trip where they will learn the skills necessary to successfully lead outdoor activities in hiking/backpacking, sea kayaking, and stand up paddle boarding.
Course dates: Monday, May 7th - Wednesday, May 16th, 2018
- Course encompasses:
- Instruction of Leadership/Group Development Theory
- Two nights/three days of backpacking
- Four days/five nights of sea kayak touring
- One day of stand up paddleboarding
- Certifications granted upon completion of course
- Leave No Trace Trainer
- ACA Level 2 Paddler: Sea Kayak
- Leave No Trace Trainer
*Candidates for the Adventure Facilitator position who do not currently possess a Wilderness First Aid (WFA) are expected to attain the certification prior to starting work. UREC will be hosting a WFA course the weekend following backcountry travel and leadership (May 19th - 20th), and those who successfully complete backcountry travel and leadership and are offered and accept the position of Adventure Facilitator can utilize the UREC grant program to pay for the majority/all of the WFA course fee.
Direct emails to: email@example.com
Deadline: Sunday, April 8th (priority), rolling admissions/space permitting thereafter
Due to the historic high popularity of this course, and the fact that this course serves a major role in recruitment for UREC Adventure Facilitators, we are encouraging those with outdoor experience, a desire to lead groups in the outdoors, and motivation for professional development to register for this course. If you are interested in working for UREC as an Adventure Facilitator, or wanting the experience for professional/leadership development, please submit a resume, trip log/outline of outdoor experience, and cover letter to the contact provided above. We will then review application material and send the registration link to those who are selected. Participation in the course does not guarantee employment.
* Prior to be hired as an Adventure Facilitator, applicants must possess and present: a valid driver's license, proof of a personal automobile insurance policy, and a drivers abstract/record without any of the following in the past three years.
- Suspension/revocation of license
- Negligent or reckless driving conviction
- conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or other substance
- Any vehicle-related felony conviction
- Criminal determination as "at fault" in an accident
WSU Student/UREC Member price: $60
Trip cost includes: Equipment, transportation, and instruction (food/clothing NOT included).
In order to minimize our environmental impact, maintain facilitator-to-participant ratios, meet permit criteria, and transportation logistics, ORC programs are designed for small groups (typically up to six participants with two facilitators). Late cancellations can seriously impact our ability to accommodate others and recover costs.
- Cancellations made up until two weeks prior to the registration deadline will receive a full refund.
- Cancellations made within two weeks prior to the registration deadline receive 50% refund.
- Sorry, no refunds are given past the registration deadline.