Feb 16 - Feb 18
in Smith Gym
Registration Opens 12/1/17
American Red Cross Blended Learning Water Safety Instructor (WSI) course.
The course dates are:
Friday - February 16, 2018 - 5:00pm-10:00pm
Saturday - February 17, 2018 - 8:00am-5:00pm
Sunday - February 18, 2018 - 8:00am-5:00pm
The Blended Learning version of the course is designed to be taught in approximately 31 hours.
Online time: 7 hours and 24 hours facility time. In order to completely enroll in this course, you must also register at classes.redcross.org with the offering ID that will be provided after your registration and purchase $35 blended learning registration which is not included with this course registration fee. The American Red Cross WSI course is designed to teach candidates the knowledge and skills needed to organize, plan and teach courses in swimming and water safety, including Learn-to-Swim, Parent and Child Aquatics, Basic Water Rescue, and Water Safety Presentations to people of all ages and varying abilities.
To enroll in the WSI course, you must be at least 16 years of age before the last scheduled class session. To participate in the WSI course, you must be able to demonstrate the following strokes at a Level 4 ability, meaning you demonstrate effective and efficient strokes and rhythmic breathing for 25 yards:
*Butterfly (15 yards ONLY)
*Tread water for 1 minute in the deep end
*Back float for 1 minute in deep end
The skills evaluation will occur on the first day of the course. Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
To become certified as a Water Safety Instructor, instructor candidates must:
- Successfully complete the Precourse Session
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions
- Successfully complete class activities, including the required practice teaching assignments
- Score a minimum of 80 percent (40 correct answers out of 50 questions) on the final written exam
- Upon successful completion of the WSI course, each participant will receive an American Red Cross universal certificate, which is valid for 2 years, from the date of completion.
Participant Products/Materials (available in e-book and print formats)
- You will receive course materials ($55 value) with this registration that is included and non-refundable if you do not pass the pre-test for this course.
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor’s Manual
- American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety
Visit instructorscorner.org/WSIcandidates to access digital materials and online prerequisites.
You are encouraged to check with your healthcare professional before participating in the practice sessions. If a medical condition or disability exists that might prevent participation in the activities, or there are questions about fully participating in the WSI course, please contact the Aquatics & Safety Education Coordinator, Jared Lindorfer, prior to the first class day.
Class Cancellation: All of our classes are assessed for cancellation at the end of the first week of the session. Participants in classes with low enrollment will be given the option for a full refund or transferred into another class. If the class has to be cancelled or moved for unforeseen reasons, you will be contacted by email that you used for registration.
If there are any questions regarding this course, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Coordinator, Aquatics & Safety Education
Washington State University Recreation